MIFFED by the persistent attacks by Boko Haram insurgents on soft targets, President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday ordered an aggressive battle against the sect.
He said the battle soon to be launched will rout the terrorists once and for all.
Reacting in a statement by his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, in reaction to the bloody attack by the insurgents on Garkida community in Adamawa State, said: “In the coming weeks, Nigerians would witness an aggressive campaign to rout Boko Haram, once and for all.
“Security will continue to be well-funded, despite the competing needs of social services. I appeal to Nigerians to continue to support our troops in their gallant efforts to protect the citizens and secure the country.”
The President described resurgence of attacks on soft targets by the terror group as a propaganda strategy to cover its weakened status.
He condemned the killing of innocent people and commiserated with the families of victims, assuring that no part of Nigeria would be abandoned to their fate.
He was quoted as saying: “These attacks on soft targets by the terrorists are obvious signs of frustration because my administration has significantly weakened Boko Haram’s military capability to invade and hold Nigerian territory unchallenged.
“Our gallant forces deserve our appreciation for repelling the attackers, but they must go beyond this point. They have our full support to go after the terrorists and have them pay a huge price. I want to assure the country that terrorists will continue to face the combined power of our military until they give up their mistaken ways.
“These occasional and episodic attacks on poor civilians by the terrorists are mere propaganda efforts to portray them as strong to fool the public into believing that they haven’t been militarily weekend by our gallant troops.”
The President said Boko Haram’s ability to invade and occupy territories and hoist flags had been frustrated since his administration came into the saddle on May 29, 2015.