A fire outbreak had occurred early this morning at Sabo market of Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun State destroying over 100 shops.
One of the shop owners, who is also the Chairman of Table Water and Beverages Producers Association of Nigeria, Remo zone, Adetola Soyemi, said that the incident was caused by the restoraration of electricity which led to a spark around 1am, and if not for the men of the fire service, it would have spread to all the sections of the market.”
The fire reportedly destroyed goods and valuables worth millions of naira.
The inferno started around 1am on Tuesday from the cloth sellers section and reportedly spread to other sections of the market. The cause of the fire was said to be a power upsurge that occurred when electricity was restored by the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company around 1am.