President Muhammadu Buhari say former president Goodluck Jonathan should go to court if he feels aggrieved by the ongoing anti-corruption war.
Buhari’s, spokeman Mr Femi Adesina, in a statement debunked the allegation by Jonathan that the Federal Government was harassing his family.
According to Adesina, Buhari harasses nobody but he merely allows the law to take its course.
He maintained that anybody without skeleton in his or her cupboard had nothing to fear about the bared fangs of the anti-corruption initiative, saying “Fear belongs only to those who have abused trust while in office.”
“Anybody who feels aggrieved is free to approach the courts to seek redress or justice. President Buhari believes in the rule of law and that is why his campaign against corruption is anchored on that plank.”
He said with regard to Buhari’s anti-graft style which Jonathan “deprecates, given the scale of revelations and recoveries so far by the anti-corruption agencies, it is obvious that corruption had an uninhibited course during our recent past.”
Adesina said time would give the verdict on whose style of fighting corruption ultimately yielded the most dividends.
He said for now, President Buhari was resolute and single-minded in the fact that his crusade against graft was not targeted at any individual or group.
The presidential spokesman said Buhari firmly believed that national interest must always be placed above personal interest no matter who is involved.
Adesina said the Presidency was constrained to respond to the banner headline story in a national newspaper of Wednesday entitled: “BUHARI’S GOVT HARASSING MY FAMILY, SAYS JONATHAN.”
“The paper said former President Goodluck Jonathan made the allegation in a new book, “Against The Run of Play”, written by the Chairman of ThisDay Editorial Board, Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi. The former president also reportedly disagreed with the style being used by the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari in fighting corruption.”